Saturday 6 May 2017

Learning experience summary

I remember my first year at uni was a bit chaotic and it seemed that I was doing random briefs. But it all had the purpose (for me at least) to know what type of designer I am. It helped me very much to identify things that interest me that I didn't know they did. For example, editorial design or branding.

In the second year things have had a more defined purpose. Despite the briefs being more open to interpretation, the fact that I can decide what direction those briefs can have makes an absolute difference when defining myself as a designer. I focused this year, as it was said in the final presentation, in making things that can be somehow related to cinematography. This approach has, interestingly, made me be more interested in graphic design than ever before. When using the title sequences theories in COP to produce a series of posters I became aware that thanks to that study I've become a better graphic designer because I was able to see more clearly what makes a poster interesting or appealing to certain audiences.

I also have to say that I have become genuinely interested in the professional aspect of graphic design thanks to the designer Chris Do. This man runs a platform called Futur which is basically a source of knowledge for designers to know how to deal with real world problems. It's not focused on design practice, but more on the business aspect of design. I didn't know I could be so interested in this and how useful it is for other aspects of life.

I'm also starting to understand the power of limitations. When a design can have infinite possible shapes but identifying certain limitations to a subjective understanding can result in an objective outcome that everybody understands. I've been obsessed with the use of colours these year and despite maybe not having full control of it I feel that I'm getting somewhere, since what I'm produced appeals me more than the usual.

Also, going to a festival like Leeds Print Festival was very useful to identify where my interests are in graphic design. Although I'm becoming more and more interested in editorial design, I have to admit that the printing side of it is not very attractive to me. The production of something on the screen is where I feel more comfortable and there's definitely people more interested in the tangible aspects of design. I also like to be able to hold what I have created, but it's the obsession in finding the perfect grid, using the appropriate colours and typefaces that appeals me. Of course, everything works together and every aspect of the design process needs to be considered. But knowing what I like makes things so much easier when it comes to identify myself as a designer in such a broad topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment