Monday 5 March 2018

Postage time

The publication and a couple of dissertations were prepared to be sent out to different places for different reasons. One copy was sent to the studio Alphabet alongside a copy of the dissertation I wrote for COP. This was to thank them for being such a great help and inspiration for it, taking the chance to let them know more about me and see if they finally offer me placements or recommend me to another studio they consider interesting. They replied with an e-mail thanking me for sending that to them. Tom Ludd, a designer at the Agency TK and an admin of The Designers League in the offices of Leeds, posted on this group that they were hiring a bunch of different people for different positions. I asked him directly if they were looking for an intern, to which he replied to submit my portfolio. I gave him the link to my website and he said he would try to put me first. I submitted a physical copy for him to the agency so they could know more about me. He received it and told me that the creative director liked it. Something interesting is that when I said that it seems that is harder to get placements/internships, he replied "Yeah, because a full time job enables companies to make money from you and are a long term investment". Another copy was sent alongside a job application for a junior designer position at Pentagram in London. The application was online, and I was recommended not to submit anything physical due to the short period of time there was. Even though, I still submitted it paying the quickest postage and informed of it to the person in charge through Linkedin. If it doesn't get there on time, that's not a problem. But if it does, it might increase the chances of getting that position. There are more details about this application on a separate blog post. La Escalera de Fumío is an advertising agency in my hometown, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. I had the chance to meet them during Christmas. They told me to keep in touch and keep them up to date with my work. I submitted a copy of the publication in Spanish for them. While we were speaking about it when they received it, I told one of the partners that I'm planning my next months and asked him directly if there's a chance for me to be a designer in their agency. That I would love to bring everything I've learned. He was very honest and told me that the year is looking good and they are planning to grow, and in case of needing a designer, they will considerate me. The last submission was for Ignasi Fontvila, a naming expert based in Barcelona. I didn't submit a publication to him in this case since he is not a designer, but just a copy of the dissertation to thank him for the course I did with him in naming, which taught me a lot of principles and considerations in branding.







No comments:

Post a Comment