Tuesday 14 November 2017

Applications - Research and some ideas

The studios I'm planning to get in contact with are similar in style and personality. I've had the chance to speak a couple of times with the designer Chris Do. He told me the best thing I can do is choosing my 3 favourite studios and 'copy' what they do. That's an advice coming from an Emmy award winner!  I've done my research and already have a shortlist of studios. 

- Madrid:

Fetén Studio *
Zoom
M&CSAATCHI
Tres Tipos Gráficos
Saffron *


- Barcelona:
Oxigen
Atipus
Querida *
Solo *
Loud
Toormix
Mucho
Putos Modernos
Two Points *
Hey
Achos

Although, making something like branding/ad campaign for the mere sake of showing off skills, might not be the best way to convince a designer. If I get a job in my dream studio, I'm not always going to be able to pick and choose only client jobs that really interest me. So this should be done following a similar pattern, like branding a competitor of one of my favourite studios' clients.

Another idea was to make a publication about myself. Talking about who I am, what I've been doing this 5 years in the UK. I'm quite confident with my street photography skills, so that's something I've thought could help me proving some versatility. Also, I've started shooting with a film camera, which can be quite distinctive, as well. The publication could go alongside a poster. Alec gave me some feedback and he pointed out that my fears could become a reality and if this is not approached with caution, it can come across as egocentric or just be a little aimless.

A publication with a tighter purpose and a more clearly defined subject would be tphotographsographs around an idea. It will be a photographic challenge and will also allow me to use my design skills to great effect to set the tone and narrative of the publication. Alec suggested me to visit Colours May Vary and Village to get ideas, and that's what I did.


This idea of making a zine can be something that can be taken further, can talk about my interests without talking about me and, more importantly, will call the attention of those with similar interests. This became very plausible when looking into very different publications: they all speak about many different topics. The secret? They do it in such way that looks interesting, and a pattern I've noticed is that designers like to tell stories in unusual tones of voice.

For example, I found myself reading a football zine. I'm not interested in football, but they were talking about the football in China, the stories behind the football players with beautiful layouts, typography and photographs, much different from the usual context the football is delivered into. But this made me clearly see that football is so much more,and it can be re-invented by looking at it from a new prism and giving a whole new context to it. There's no reason for me to not do the same and talk about a specific topic that interests me and make it interesting.

I even bought the beautiful zine "Pet People", which is about pets and their owners to remind myself that a publication can be about anything I want and some people might find it interesting.

In addition to this, I did an online course in editorial design with the legendary Spanish designer Oscar Mariné. It helped me very much in understanding editorial design more, discovering new references and visual styles. The course itself was pretty basic, but had some insights in the composition of a page that were worth knowing.


These are other publications found online that also helped in shaping the idea for the design.

10012524_669166373121680_875981482_n.png (720×864)


Design Workshop Booklet | Printing Design | Pinterest

I like the black bind cover on this notebook. It looks pretty simple to do. Also the way these words are laid out.

Byn Artisan Brochure by andlarry.com

Image result for ceci n'est pas marcel broodthaers

No comments:

Post a Comment