Saturday 18 November 2017

Applications - Feedback

When deciding the topic for this publication, the project encountered a crossroad. The idea, in principle, is to design a zine to get the attention of my dream studios. It is between creating something quite plain that is hard to be disliked (let's say, colour schemes in tv series) or do something more controversial (in the lines of Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor or even Bukowski). In other words, I have to decide between doing something that can't be disliked or risk it and create something that people can either love it or hate it. The self-indulging answer would be to do what I love doing and if others don't like it, then it's not worth to work with them anyways. It's better to leave an impression (good or bad) than leaving none. But before going making this choice, I thought it'd be much better to get feedback at this point and see what other people thought. Would others carry out a project that can get quite personal and might give them bad reputation or would they do something that is generally considered 'nice'?

I explained in detail the problem to others as it follows.

The problem is that most of the things I like to read (and breathe) about, can be quite controversial. For example, I like Charles Bukowski, or provocative comedians like Dave Chappelle and Richard Pryor. I like stories where one doesn't know who is the good guy and the bad guy, because 'evil' has a very good justification for what they do. Let's say, for example, the TV series Utopia or Black Mirror.

I have a notebook where I write down quotes from different sources, and they are normally quotes defying common sense. I've noticed a pattern in them. In principle, they are all quite pesimistic, but when explained, they have an interesting positive turn. I have in mind the zine giving first a quote and then a small text explaining it alongside some photographs. One that can be quite shocking is, for example, 'you are going to die'. And then, explain it: "Personally, it helps me a lot the fact that tomorrow I can be dead, or in an hour. That makes me relativise many aspects of my life and I dedicate less time to the nonsense. I don't waste my time in empty arguments on internet or trying to understand what doesn't need an understanding. Under this prism, I enjoy so much more the good times in my life with the people I love". Of course, not every argument will have a happy conclusion or will be this graphic, but it's not necessarily a depressant publication... more like a deep one. With arguments like this, it is easy to create an impact with a title and then leave a positive thought behind.

When I weight it, despite not being an autobiographical zine, it'd be about the things I'm interested in, and I don't know how positive can be being this honest. But, at the same time, personal projects and stuff that is this honest it's what caughts my eye, and I believe many other creatives would agree with me if I say that it's better to leave a negative impression than to leave none. Also, it is always so much more interesting when something is done because one believes in it instead of creating something to please others.

Despite being this sure about certain aspects, at the same time, I am not so sure. Should I go for my controversial idea or should I keep it for all audiences? When I think about the target audience, I think designers from studios want challenging people. And I think something beautifully designed can be done by many, but I've always thought that my strength is the reasoning behind the design decisions and that's why I sometimes think this idea is perfect. Some people have told me I'm quite good at writing, so it'd be another skill to include. But I have that feeling of "I don't want to risk too much".

These are some of the answers I got from others after explaining myself.

1) I'd personally do something that reflects myself and my own interests. Rather than something I thought other people might like. Big studios aren't interested in being pandered to, they want to see something interesting and an expression of yourself. Something that asks an interesting question, or solves a problem. I wouldn't over think the situation, or try and work out what the person you send it to might be interested in. Make the zine an extension of who you are and it'll come out a million times better and also be more interesting.

2) Don't think i'd be bothered with design if it was all about the other person whether it be a client or people in general. Your personality is your individuality so you should use it, not everyone will like it either way, can't live life without taking risks otherwise ideas and work will just be conventional and you might get bored.

3) Would always rather make something that people love or hate, than something that people feel indifferent to. I know that's a cliche but I feel it's a cliche for a reason. Legit no point in playing it safe, be brave, explore, break new ground, piss people off, stir up a reaction.

4) I think you have to ask yourself the question, “Is this work going to be representative not only of who I am currently but also who I want to be?” If the work would be true to you both now and later then go for it. It’s putting yourself out there honestly and being prepared to be evaluated honestly as well.

5) I don't think the "bleakness" of the concept will matter much as long as the design is also good. Showing off something with personality and passion is always the right way to go, in my opinion. And I'm guessing you know this too. I'd say go for it. If they react badly, they might not be the people you're a good fit with anyway. I had a job interview yesterday and had some sympathy cards in my portfolio. That's what they liked most of all the things, because they liked the ideas behind them. So, definitely not the most happy things, but that didn't matter.

6) If nobody hates it, nobody loves it either. Push it toward the less predictable option, put your own personality into it. If a studio/agency is put off by it, it was never the right fit anyway.

It's interesting to see how unanimously they encourage me to do what I want to do instead of playing safe. I also have the feeling that this is the project I will feel more proud of, so I will follow their advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment