Friday 20 October 2017

Experience: the recent grads enemy

In many job offers (at least in the Spanish ones) they don't usually post the salary with the excuse that it depends on the value of the applicant. This made me raise an eyebrow as it feels that they are going to say that they are not willing to pay more than "X" because I don't have the experience.

I want to be prepared to argue this and to be able to be taken seriously. So I spoke with John and Alec about this problem. Since I can't rely on experience, what do I have that experienced designers don't?

These are some of the arguments I can pivot around that I've been gathering from the conversation with John:

- Freshness

- Mental Flexibility/ malleability / Adaptability

- Energy

- Been in England studying and working (this has an added value applying for Spanish jobs)

- Enthusiast / Out of comfort zone.

After speaking to Alec, this is what I wrote down:

"I am what you are looking for because I believe you are looking for someone fresh and young, not necessarily experienced. My work is not the regular work a student would do, otherwise I believe I wouldn't be sitting here. I am willing to show you how valuable I am, but this is something I cannot prove to you in a 15 minutes interview".

No comments:

Post a Comment