Friday 20 October 2017

Client negotiation workshop

I was very interested in participating in this workshop carried out by Lou Bones from the Association of Illustrators in London because I believe the design of business and the business of design are equally important to be a successful graphic designer.

Many things that were said I was already aware of, since I've been interested in this topic for some time now and thanks to The Futur. However, there were very interesting points.

Lou explained that our websites should show the name and our work first and foremost. "Who is our work speaking to?" is the question we need to ask ourselves to have a clear message.

Also, avoid be paying by time because that's how companies save money. One should say: "I don't work on a day fee, but I'm happy licensing my work" in terms of copyright. The prices should also be based on "where" and "how long" it's going to be used for.

At the end of the workshop, I asked Lou if she had a nice and not too inappropriate way to know her clients' annual revenue to calculate the right fee for them. She told me that there's a way to check this out through the company's house register or checking out previous projects they have been involved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment