Monday 23 November 2015

Decadence

This post is going to be a bit personal.

It has been almost two weeks after the awful events that took place in France. I'm not going to talk about what I do not fully understand, despite I follow what is going on from several different trustworthy sources avoiding mass media, and I am very good friend of a couple of political scientists, it's not my duty to write about it. I'm going to write what I had the disgrace to presence near me and I think it needs to be said: the reaction of the western society. Particularly in the UK and Spain.

The terrorist attack was the light that awakened the monster some people have sleeping inside them, a monster they do not even know about. It set the beginning of a week full of hate, racism - even sexism - and brainless accusations. I was ashamed to find out that people I respected or appreciated - or even people I didn't know - somehow used what the mass media told them as an excuse to release what they had been developing for a long time. No one blames a specific group of people so hardly - notice that I'm talking about Muslims - for one thing that does not even represent them. Those haters were waiting for the right moment to say what they had to say so it would be easily approved. Demagogic opportunists, I must call them.


The icing on the cake was the France flag Facebook made available to put over the profile picture. Some people say is not a big deal, it is just to show support. But let me explain what I think before you draw any conclusion. I think IT IS important, because the past is something you cannot change, but what is happening right now can determine the future, and the flag on Facebook is not much more important as it is, but everything that is around is. Using a flag on your profile picture is a trivialisation of the problem, making you feel part of the solution, when you are doing actually nothing. Sharing these flags could look like an act of solidarity towards the victims, but it is not just that. It is the easy way to show the world that you are aware of what is going on, but actually saying that you are not informed. Honestly, no one likes to know that people is dying, it is a way to show a superficial concern of what is going on in reality. And if they decide to use the flag after being informed it is much worse, as they have decided to show respects to 150 people in France and not, for example, to thousands that died in Syria two days later. It was hard to find information about this, and it was much easier to find details about how a dog died in France because of the terrorists. I am a dog lover too, if that is what you are thinking. There are dogs in Syria too, if that makes you realise how hard everything actually is. And not to forget that terrorist bombs are not Syrian, but French bombs belong to France. I will leave it there.

Some people is so fu**ing hypocrite that even say that they deserve it because, among other things, they are unacceptably sexist. Then when I reply that we are also very sexist in the Western, they bark that it is not the same. Oh, no, I am sure it is not. But it is curious that this is always (and I mean ALWAYS) said by white males, and I have to remind them that they do not belong to any discriminated group to decide which discrimination is worse than other. That we have to work out our problems before telling our neighbors what is right and wrong. I consider myself an active feminist, and even though I have an inner fight against my social-imposed male chauvinism. It is so funny when someone who is clearly a sexist tells me he is not... and if he is, there is someone in the world worse than him. Clean conscience.

I would be writing about this for ages, but I wanted to keep it simple by mentioning the key points of my thoughts. I respect every single opinion as long as it is backed up by investigation, a decent reasoning or a minimum amount of personal time dedicated to it. Even if it is saying all I hate, I respect it. But I cannot and I must not respect what goes against the human dignity and life, and I will definitely not allow - by leaving or counter arguing - arguments sustained by plastic taught moralities. A good example of it is one of the horrible things I was able to read these days: 'I am not racist, or sexist, or fascist. I just say the things the way the are'.


I strongly believe that the problem is not about ISIS, or the Islamic Estate, or the empowered people. If they were the ones who fight, it would be different, but there is a whole system beneath them that keep them away from all of that, but regular people like me, but in other countries, close. Very close.

This map reflects exactly what i am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment