Tuesday 24 January 2017

Creating a Network: Strategy

How PPP is designed gives a good opportunity to come up with a strategy for making contacts in the industry that can be tested and improved for 3rd year and onwards. I took the time to look through different studios, but I realised how useless this was if I didn't know what I specifically wanted to do. After some time thinking about it, I know that I want to work doing graphic design in a studio that also does cinematography. A 3rd plan would be working in the video-games sector. Also, I would like to work either in UK or Spain, preferably Barcelona.

Going out and contacting people creates important links to the industry that can be used to find a job in the future. The opportunity of speaking with someone in the industry eventually came up, and it was very awkward to realise that the CV (or Linked In) and portfolio were almost empty and not updated. So then, the first things to do was to polish those two aspects. Also, as part of making new contacts, increasing the activity on Linked In commenting on others publications and work has allowed me to make a few new contacts.

Before this stage was completely polished, several studios were approached to see if they could say something about my work and portfolio, how to improve it, what to focus on, etc. And at this point was very plausible how important is to make real contact (and not virtual) with someone, either by letter, phone call or personally. When talking about their work (if they answered the e-mails) they were more interested, but when it came to talk about my work (even though they seemed interested) the responses ceased. Another thing I've realised is that big companies already have programs or structured procedures for people interested in doing internships, normally involving CV and portfolio.

Phone calls would be a great way to contact, but sending something unique that makes them wonder what it is could be even a better way to get their attention as it was suggested during the lessons. One of the ideas was to send 2 postcards, one of a dog and another one of a cat, kind of saying that I wasn't sure if that person was a cats or dogs person, but that's something that needs to be identified yet. For now my virtual public face is sorted to avoid falling in the same mistake as previous occasions.

Polishing the portfolio, the most relevant pieces of work were photographed and uploaded. Not every single project is shown to avoid boring the visitor. Less is more.

https://www.behance.net/AlejandroZorita


I have tailored a list of the studios and professionals that I would like to work with. To begin this research, I used a book I bought some time ago. I also created started to follow on Linked In people I wanted to contact with, but unfortunately this platform doesn't have a way to show the people you follow, only the companies.



- TV Series/Media/Film Endemol Shine Group (Kudos, House of Tomorrow) - Utopia, Black Mirror
Gaumont television
Lionsgate Television
Nomadic Pictures
Netflix
Mubi
Polar films

Pulse films (Studio in Berlin that can be visited)
Filmin
Escandalo films
A contraluz films
La fábrica Naranja
Pomp&clout
PostPanic
El Deseo
Alamo Films
Activa Films

El dedo en el ojo
Perspective Pictures

- Video games
Blizzard
Riot games
Square-enix
Rockstar games
Team 17
Nintendo

Konami
Hello Games


- Graphic Design
Far from home
Artimaña
Óscar Mariné
Mario Eskenazi
Diego freijoo
26 Keys Productions
Giant leap productions
Zoom
Erre Creativa
Only
Lo Siento
Bualá Communication
Vasava
Folch Studio
We are mucho

- Creative news sites
Código Nuevo
Yorokobu
Cultura Inquieta
Brandemia
Design Observer
Gráffica info

I've been also talking with people I already know in the industry, that is related to it or that know people in it to let them know about my interests: working in graphic design/cinematography/video-games. This is an interesting article I found that can inform what I want to send the studios to grab their attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment