Monday 18 January 2016

People's history museum visit


During our visit to the People's History Museum in Manchester I took the advantage to take a detour from the main exposition we went for.

Although I am going to talk about the other rooms, there was one piece of work that grabbed my attention, and it was the 'carpet' made out of lottery tickets that weren worthless at some point. Thinking that they were sold 10 pounds each this piece makes very visual the amount of money we throw away.



I could not avoid finding the next pictures interesting as I am writing an essay for COP called construction of femininity. These are examples of how society used to see women and how they were used to advertise products for men, making them mere objects of attraction.




I also found very interesting the communism section as they had a part of the history of my country that I never heard of: how the English communist party helped the republican side in the Spanish civil war. As Spanish I found this astonishing, as it is very dificult to find an exhibition like this in Spain. Despite what media and the common knowledge says, many intelectuals have claimed that Spain is still in the post-Franco era, and recent political events have confirmed this. The owners of museums in Spain are normally part of the bourgeoisie and they do not want to share this part of the history.









It was also very interesting to see the designs for posters asking to help Spain. I find them very similar to the posters of the second Spanish republic.



No comments:

Post a Comment